Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The princess and the giant cupcake

Wylio.com
(And now you know the reason for the post about holding in your abs.)

The other night, Princess daughter and I were at a certain large grocery store/department store/junk store/total rip-off store that shall remain nameless. I disdain this store and was only there because of a particular item we needed. I also knew they had fairly decent bakery items (which we did not need) but since hubby was out of town, we decided we’d spend girls’ night with a giant cupcake.
And there was a beauty just sitting in the display case – all red, white and blue frostingy. When we decided that was the lucky one, I looked around for someone who could present us with our carbohydrate coma. But no one was to be found (since they’ve removed the greeters, you can’t find anyone in that store!) So I told my daughter I was going to just get it myself and I’d be right back. I pushed open the swinging door, quickly walked into the forbidden zone, slid the case door, grabbed the object of our obsession, and turned around to face a worker who immediately questioned what I was doing back there in employee zone (where was she 5 minutes ago?).
I apologized profusely and said I couldn’t find anyone to help. I took my verbal reprimand, remained humble, then moved along with my cart and Princess daughter. I began to wonder what impact my actions would have on her – would she see the bigger picture that sometimes it's just better to ask for forgiveness than permission but take your lickings gracefully when they come, or would she see that I was a terrible rule-breaker only out for myself (and frosting)?
Shortly after, a paralyzed woman sat in her wheelchair in front of the lettuce tubs. As I walked past, I noticed she looked a little distressed. She asked, “Would you mind helping me out?” “Not at all,” I replied as I showed her the variety of lettuce from which she could choose, read the expiration dates to her, then placed her selection in her lap. I asked if she needed anything else and she said no, her niece was around there to help. As we walked away, I again wondered what impact my actions would have on Princess daughter. I didn’t have to wait long as she said, “That was like the Good Samaritan. Lots of people walked by and we stopped to help.”
It’s tough having an audience that's sizing you up 24/7. Sometimes it’s fun (like when the desire to eat a giant cupcake hits you), sometimes it’s embarrassing (like when you make a decision and get chastised for it), and sometimes it’s rewarding. I guess that’s why dwelling on scripture so it becomes part of you is so critical. I guess that’s why we’re encouraged to ask for a heart of wisdom believing we will receive it. And I guess that’s why we were never meant to do on it on our own (thank you, God!).
In the end, hopefully the most questionable action I did that night was purchase a giant cupcake.
“For the Lord grants wisdom. From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6

No comments: